For the Love of Learning

Friday, April 5, 2013

Earth Day Fundraiser

Well I hope that everyone had a wonderful Spring Break...I know I did!!! We started off our first week back with a kick off to Earth Day. Because ED is in April I decided to make a friendly competition/fundraiser with some of the other second grade teachers at my school. We spent some time discussing what Earth Day is and why we celebrate it.  The students watched a short video on the history of the holiday and completed a graphic organizer telling what they learned (available on my TPT store). I explained that in honor of the holiday we would be conducting a month-long fundraiser/challenge with the other classes. Each class is responsible for collecting as many aluminum cans as possible. We are tallying the cans each week and keeping a graph of them in our classroom. I will also be posting the weekly totals here for you to keep up with. At the end of the month, the class that collects the most cans will win a pizza party and all the money collected (from recycling the cans) will go directly to the classroom for books, supplies, etc. It's a win/win/win situation for the environment, students, and teacher!!

So here's how we've done so far....

Week 1 (April 1-5): 372 cans (woo hoo!!! way to go class!!!!!)
Week 2 (April 8-12) 293!! Keep it up :)
Week 3 (April 15-19) 335 (we made it to 1,000!!)
Week 4 (April 22-26) 233

GRAND TOTAL: 1,233!!!!
 Our class has had a lot of fun collecting and keeping track of our cans this month. Even though we did not win I am very proud of my kiddos and want to thank everyone who participated. We want to congratulate Mrs. Martin's class for winning the first prize pizza party with a total of 2,009 cans collected!

No comments:

Post a Comment