For the Love of Learning

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Math Resources

I LOVE finding new math games to use in my classroom. The students really enjoy it too! I've downloaded many, many, different centers over the past few years. The problem is that they sometimes get bored when they have used a center over and over again. I created these cards with two and three-digits in order to be able to play multiple games without having to create multiple resources. Some of the ways my students have used these are:
  • addition/subtraction problems (pull two cards, write the equation, and solve)
  • expanded form(write in numbers, build with base ten blocks, or draw using base ten blocks)
  • greater than/less than (order cards from greatest to least or least to greatest)
  • rounding (pull cards and tell what the closest ten or hundred is)
I would love to hear if anyone else has other ways that they would/have used these in their classroom! Click HERE to get your set!
 

If you like these, you should download my FREE set of three-digit number cards too!

With the new common core standards everything is changing to strategy based thinking. This is the math board in my classroom that the students referred to during our adding and subtracting three-digit numbers unit. This piggybacked off of our two-digit number unit where the students were introduced to using the same strategies only with smaller numbers.

 
In addition, we have been working on word problems ALL year. During my intervention block I usually have the kids solve a "problem of the day" in their math journal.  This week I decided to mix it up a bit. Instead of me writing the word problems, the students got into pairs and wrote their own. Each day I would show the previous day's problems and the class would solve them using manipulatives or one of our written strategies. Here's what it looked like...



 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment